Chitkara University, Himachal Pradesh has been nominated by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, as one of the few institutions in India to initiate the program in BBA (Logistics).
Chitkara University, Himachal Pradesh has signed a MoU with Logistics Sector Skill Council (LSC) to launch a BBA (Logistics) programme from the Academic Year 2020-21.
LSC is a not-for-profit organisation established set up by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) though National Skill Development Corporation of India (NSDC) and promoted by Confederation of Indian Industries Institute of Logistics (CII-IL) with the aim to develop skill trained as well as up-skill the workforce in India.
3-Year BBA in Logistics is a blend of theory and hands-on learning through apprenticeship wherein the students experience combination of conceptual learning and on-the-job training through paid industry apprenticeship in the Logistics Sector. The specialized curriculum developed by LSC has been adopted which comprises of core courses, practical courses and allied courses besides apprenticeship training. The main focus of this apprenticeship-based UG Degree Programme is to create adequate skills for employment at supervisory/managerial level, thus, ensuring employability and skill development in the emerging Indian Logistics Sector which is valued at USD$ 150 billion and contributes 14.4 % of India’s GDP.
- The duration of the program is 3 years consisting of 6 semesters with a thoughtful mix of courses on credit based system.
- The programme structure includes 21 core courses (7 per each odd semester), 6 practical courses (2 per each even semester), 3 allied courses (1 in each even semester), and on-the-job apprenticeship training for 18 months (450 days) spread equally across the 3 even semesters (semesters II, IV, and VI).
- During apprenticeship, students would be treated as employees of the company where they are deputed, and would be governed by the rules and regulations of the company concerned. The manager under whom the student is assigned for work would be the industry mentor of the student.
- Students would receive monthly apprenticeship of approximately Rs. 9000 per month, as per the provisions of Apprenticeship Act, 1961 during the apprenticeship period (18 months in total during the three-year period of the degree programme). LSC would facilitate placement of every student for Apprenticeship.
- Assessment of the students on their apprenticeship is made by LSC involving a team of experts. The team will make three assessments during the six months of apprenticeship period.
- The students on successful completion of the programme will be awarded the UG Degree by Chitkara University, Himachal Pradesh and final placement in the Logistics Industry facilitated by LSC.
- Placement Criteria: Students who successfully complete all requirements of the degree programme and have secured consolidated marks of more than 60% will be eligible for the placement in the first round. Placement of candidates with less than 60% marks would be taken up in the second round. All companies in the General Council of LSC will participate in placement.
Job prospects in Logistics Sector include but are not limited to the sub-sectors like Warehousing – Storage and Packaging, Land Transportation, Courier and Express Services, EXIM Logistics, Cold Chain Logistics, Port Terminals, Air Cargo Operations, E-Commerce, Inland Waterways and Marine Services, Supply Chain, Liquid Logistics and Rail Logistics etc.